Friday, June 20, 2008

My Addiction


I first got interested in quilting back in the late 70's while I was in college. I got away from it in the 80's and 90's, when I lived in California and Florida, went to grad school, and started my career in Sleep Medicine. About 5 years ago, I had a patient who was working on a lap quilt in my office. I couldn't get over how beautiful it was, and asked her a million questions about it. She looked at me, puzzled, and said "Did you know there are 3 excellent quilt shops within 10 miles of here?" I found out where they were, signed up for a class, and was hooked again, for life! When I opened my business, a Sleep Disorders Center, it seemed a natural place for me to hang my quilts on the walls. I got great feedback about the quilts. They seemed to make people feel comfortable, at home, nurtured. And, they allowed me to explore my creativity and re-found passion. I just kept making more quilts! Who knew there was so much to explore beyond piecing? Strings, applique, crazy quilting, wool, fusibles, paper piecing! Earlier this year, I even went a little crazy and bought a longarm.

DH made me a dedicated sewing area in our little cabin this year, which is working out brilliantly! It is an L shaped counter with just room for my sewing machine, small cutting mat and mini ironing board. In past years, I have always sewn on the table, and had to put everything away at mealtime. This is a definite improvement!

No comments: