Friday, July 25, 2008

Maine Quilts

I entered this witch wall hanging in Maine Quilts 2008, which is being held in Augusta this weekend. I had originally planned to still be in Maine at the time of the show, but ended up being back in Florida this weekend instead. A nice fellow HGTV quilting message board member (KC) was volunteering at the show and attended the Champagne Preview last night, which was held after the judging, but before the show had opened to the public today. She was kind enough to take this photo and post it for me on the board late last night. If you squint, you can ALMOST make that ribbon look blue, can't you?? It is actually purple. It got an honorable mention, which is not too bad. There were 650+ quilts in the show. Last year, this category, wall hangings, had the largest number of entries, so I know there was a lot of competition. I think it is a dramatic pattern, which would get people's attention. I will be interested to read the judges comments, and see what I need to do to improve my skills for the next one. This was free motion quilted on my Janome 6600, using metallic thread, which is a pain in the butt. On the inside of her cape and part of her hat, I had put a layer of tulle which had sparkly stones on it, and quilted around that. The tulle shrank a bit while I was quilting it, and there were some raw edges that I probably should have stitched down or finished in some way.


3 comments:

Holee said...

Congrats on the ribbon! Glittery and beading never show up on Photos. I just bet it's striking in person! I love the detail in her hands.

Pam said...

It doesn't show up, but she has long red fingernails!
Thanks, Holee!

JessicaSews said...

What am amazing quilt! I love her hair!

Congratulations
on the ribbon!

What a great pattern!

~ Jes