Thursday, September 11, 2008

Jungle Fever Quilt


These are some photos of a quilting design I am going to do on a customer quilt. Because I am still fairly new at this, I like to do a trial run of a design on a scrap piece before I actually start to sew on the customer's quilt to find out if there are any operator errors lying in wait for me. This one went pretty smoothly. The pattern is called Jungle Fever. I try to specialize in the organic shapes, leaves, vines and feathers. I love to play with different textures in my work. I bought all of these squares precut at one of my favorite fabric stores in Maine, Onboard Fabrics. They were all bundled together for $5. a bundle. The lighter green square is silk, and the others are different upholstery weight remnants. The brown one has the texture of a brain coral! I just sewed the blocks together randomly, and will use it for a throw for a couch on my porch. For the back, I used a solid brown Ultrasuede that I bought on sale at Joanne. I used a new thread, Isacord, that was recommended by one of my teachers in Nashville, Jaime Wallen. I loved the thread! It had virtually zero lint, was light and strong, and the rasberry color I used had a pretty sheen to it. It is polyester, but almost looked like rayon. I used it in both the bobbin and on top. He recommended using it for the bobbin, and he uses an unspecified Superior thread on the top. But, I didn't read that until after I was done, so Oh Well. I normally use Superior So Fine for both top and bobbin.
I was hoping to take this to my Quilt Guild meeting tonight for Show and Tell, but have not gotten the binding on yet, so I guess I will wait till next time.
On the judge's comment sheets for my Witch quilt that won Honorable Mention at Maine Quilts, all of the judges said that my bindings needed work. I was asking one of my teachers in Nashville for advice on doing better bindings, and she recommended a tool, the Piping Hot Binding Tool, which of course I bought. And lost!
My sewing room has just been re-located from dowstairs in my house to the guest house, so things are a bit topsy turvy in the sewing world at the moment. But stay tuned! I'll find that darned Piping Hot Binding Tool if it's the last thing I do!


1 comment:

Holee said...

I clicked on your blog to see another photo of you and Bill..you look perfect together!

The quilt is beautiful. I love the soft colors. Can't beat the price for the blocks either!

Well, I'll be looking for another photo of you & Bill..now that you know he doesn't like rakes maybe you can keep hubby safe on the next visit :o)