Sunday, October 5, 2008

Crisp, Light, Refreshing!

Well, I have embarked upon a personal challenge that is long overdue. I am not proud of this, but for over 30 years, I have had a serious diet Pepsi habit. To the point that my friends have expressed concern for years over the contents of my recycling bins. (That's bins, plural!)
Last month, when I caught a bug from my grandkids, I didn't drink any soda. I was too sick to even think about it. And I went through the full spectrum of caffeine withdrawal, which is never pretty. After I got through it, I just decided that I never wanted to go through that again, could not continue to poison myself. I have switched to water, which is different. I am definitely a more mellow person without all the caffeine. And I feel free. It is nice to not have to constantly be thinking about whether I have enough soda to get me through the day. I have saved a ton of money, too. Maybe 6 to 8 dollars a day!
I remember when I was a teenager, some friends of mine told me about a woman who lived in our town who was an alcoholic. She had bottles of whiskey stashed every couple of feet along the rural road where we lived. She would go out to walk her dogs and drink from her stash. They thought it was funny to steal her bottles. I really didn't have any exposure to addiction then, but I remember thinking even then that it was not funny.
I indulged in similar behavior. I carried soda in my car, had it stocked under my desk at home, in my sewing room, at the hospital, at my business, in the garage...and I was seriously longing for small refrigerators in every room where I spent time. I would easily just drink one can right after another. If I was out of soda, I would invent trips to the store. While shopping, I could never pass by the soda coolers right near the checkout without getting a nice cold one. My Mom and my husband hated the habit, and I always felt guilty about it.
Looking back, I can't even explain the attraction. I didn't LOVE the taste. It made my heart race and gave me headaches and messed up my sleep patterns. I guess I would drink it as a substitute for eating. But I know I've lost weight since I have stopped drinking it.
So, it's been 20 days. Do I miss it? Sometimes. I still have my stash all over the place. I guess this week I will go through and round it up and...not really sure what to do with it. My quilt guild meets this Thursday night. We hold our meetings at a church that has a food pantry. It isn't really food, but I guess I might just drop it off there. Maybe someone would want it while playing Bingo at the church or something. I guess soda is marginally more socially acceptable to donate than say, unwanted cigarettes after someone quits smoking.
Anyway, that's my story. There is life after Diet Soda! And it's good. Life is good.

3 comments:

Sherry said...

Good for you! I decaffeinated 20 or so years ago. Ice tea was my downfall. Since I drink it unsweet, I just switched to decaf. JUST switched. Ha! I had a 3-day withdrawal headache. Thought I was going to die. Nothing touched it.

Now, when I go to the movies and have a diet coke, I'm up until after midnight.

The apple pie looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

Pam..We all have our habits and it is hard to do away with them. I have fallen off the wagon so many times it isnt funny but I get up and dust myself off and try again. I applaud you for being able to get past your hurdle. Knowing other things coke products are good for, it is a wonder I ever touch it..but I do...Did you know that coke products will clean a battery that has all that build up around the cables...eekkk...and I still drink the stuff...My hubby actually has used coke for this purpose and it does work. I will shut up now and go have a glass of water. :-)

Pam said...

Thanks, you guys! I'm sure I'll struggle with the urge to drink it sometimes, but I know it is the best thing for my body...trying to be healthy! Q, yes, I did know that. My husband uses it for that purpose too. I guess my insides must be REALLY clean :0