Friday, August 29, 2008

I Can't Make This Stuff Up!!!!

As anyone who owns a business knows, you are only as good as your employees. And, no one, but no one, will ever take as good care of your business as you, yourself will. And, if you find someone who you think just might come close, you hold on to them with both hands, treat them like royalty, and pay them their weight in gold. I have, with my business partner, owned my business for just over 4 years now. Without going into too much detail, all of my employees but one work the night shift. I work the day shift. I place a very high degree of trust in my employees, who do their work during the quiet dark hours of the night with very little supervision. My business partner and I work very hard to exceed all expectations of our customers in every way possible, and we have the same expectations of our employees.

I am used to my phone ringing in the evening and occasionally during the night. Last night, I had trouble falling asleep because I knew I had to be at the hospital at o-dark thirty this morning to do a special procedure I only do a few times a year. I had just fallen asleep, when my home phone rang at 1:30 am. I mumbled "This can't be good" to DH and answered. One of my employees, a young person who has worked for me for over a year, and with whom I have been extremely impressed, was on the line. Was working alone that night. Told me there was a big problem and that "you are going to be really pissed". I asked what was going on. Answered that there was a sheriff that wanted to talk to me. I said OK, thinking, A SHERIFF???

A booming voice on the other end of the line identified his name, rank and department. He asked me what the job title of my employee was. I responded. Sheriff said, well, I am placing employee under arrest for possession of marijuana. I was dumbfounded. I asked HOW this might have come about???? Sheriff was doing a routine patrol, saw employee's car in our parking lot, came into lot to investigate. Car was unlocked. Opened car door and found a baggie of the evil green weed on the seat. Came to my business. Found door to my business unlocked, came in, and, this just gets better and better, employee was ASLEEP IN CHAIR. Oh yes.

Partner and I convene on scene and secure business. Are shaking in our boots, freaking out over all of the many and varied liability issues that this could have but blessedly did NOT, expose us to. Now ex-employee joins ranks of past employees who: went out for coffee at 3 am and never returned, and other events I would really rather forget. Yes, I screen my employees carefully before I hire them. Yes, they are all good people, and I really don't care WHAT employees get up to in their spare time. But when it places my business in jeopardy, that crosses a line for me.

1 comment:

Lady Beekeeper said...

Well then. Sorry about that! Probably not as sorry as that young lady!!!

So, I hope you got your procedure done.