Thursday, August 28, 2008

Kevin's Quilt






I have just finished quilting a very special quilt that will be going to a young man who was wounded while serving our country in Iraq. His name is Kevin, and his mother has been publishing her family's story in a blog that caught the attention of one of my fellow HGTV quilting board members. My board friend, Holee, rallied quilters from across the US to contribute red, white and blue quilt blocks to make a quilt for Kevin. She got such a great response that she had enough blocks to make 4 quilts! One will go to Kevin, and I volunteered to quilt that one on my longarm. I used an all over design of stars and loops in a red and blue variegated thread. The other quilts will go to his mom, one for a charity fundraiser auction for his family, and one for his wheelchair. Hope this will cover him with the hopes, thoughts and prayers for his full recovery from all of the people who were involved in this project.

4 comments:

Lady Beekeeper said...

That looks a lot like the quilt on MY longarm, right now.

So did the wedding take place with no problems? Don't they say that rain on a wedding day is lucky?

I hope things turned out well and am sorry for the unpleasant weather surprise.

Holee said...

I was hoping you would put this on your blog! This quilt is huge. I am so happy I didn't have to struggle to quilt it!

Thanks again Pam for doing a super job!

Pam said...

Thanks, Penny. I have been following the progress of your quilt on your blog...it is beautiful!! I'm thinking about joining your challenge too...God help me. I have more ideas than you can shake a stick at right now. BUT I love the fabric choice and the time frame seems do-able if I plan my time :)

I haven't seen the photos from my friend Melissa's wedding, yet. She has been on her honeymoon. They ended up having the wedding indoors, but the venue was on the second floor and had floor to ceiling glass windows and wrap around porch, so I am sure it was beautiful to watch the storm move over the water. (I think storms are beautiful to watch, if you are watching from a safe place) We are keeping an eagle eye on Hannah, this weekend.

Pam said...

Thanks so much, Holee. I enjoyed working on it. I feel more comfortable and learn something new with every quilt I do. I even caught myself singing and quilting with only one hand while working on this one!!! That is progress, I assure you from the death grip and hunched posture of my first attempt :)