Friday, August 15, 2008

The Wind, She Did Blow










Last Friday evening, we were scheduled to go to a wedding at 5:30, then pick a friend and his son up at the airport later on that night. I work about 30 minutes north of where I live. As I left to drive home, and the sky was a deep purple/black/blue all around me. I thought of my friend, the bride, who had planned an outdoor wedding at a beautiful riverside location. As I drove home, I started to see branches and huge piles of pine needles in the road. Somehow, I didn't drive through the storm. It hit hard where I live, then passed over and went out to sea. When I drove down our driveway, my heart sank. A big gumbo limbo had come down in our yard, and a big pine had come down on our friend's car, which we were planning to drive to the airport! We never did make it to the wedding.

The next day, Brandon and Kristen came up to help us cut up the fallen trees and haul the pieces out to the road. It took the 4 of us about 3 hours of hard work.

The old timers have been saying that the weather pattern so far this summer, sunny mornings and rain every afternoon, means that the hurricaines won't be bad this fall. Sure hope they are right! I am scheduled to leave for Nashville out of West Palm Beach on Tuesday for the AQS show, and we are right in the path of a developing storm in the tropics.




No comments: